South American Vegetarian Stew
Chef Patty James
- 2 cup carrot juice, fresh
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cup tomato juice, (if using canned use low sodium)
- ¾ T chilli powder
- 1 cup yams, peeled and cubed into 1/2'” segments
- ¼ cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- ¾ cup zucchini, 1” slices (or other seasonal vegetables)
- 1 cup kidney beans, cooked
- ¾ cup corn (fresh preferable)
- lemon juice to taste
- Juice carrots and set aside. Prepare vegetables as directed.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot and sauté onions, garlic and shitakes for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and carrot juices, chilli powder, yams and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Just as the yams are beginning to become tender, add zucchini. Simmer covered until vegetables are all tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Add the beans and corn, cook until heated through. Season to taste with fresh lemon juice.
Each serving is about 2 cup. Serve with a mixed green salad with a lemon vinaigrette which brings out the flavour of the carrots nicely. You may leave out the yams and add other seasonal vegetables such as baby spinach leaves; place the baby leaves in the bottom of the bowl and pour the hot stew over the top. Garnish with a topping of fresh low-fat yogurt and a curled lemon rind.