Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
This is a wonderful comforting soup to have anytime of the year.
Read about all the health benefits below.
- 6 med ripe tomatoes,quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalyan salt
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- ground pepper to taste
- Place the tomato quarters in a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic buds and salt. Place entire mixture on baking sheet (on foil) with tomatoes skin side down. Roast at 375 degrees F (195 degrees C) for 30 to 45 minutes keeping a close eye that they do not burn. Turn over half way through cooking process. You are looking for the tomatoes to carmelize. A slight browning is perfect.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a minute. Then pick off the skins of the tomatoes. They should fall off very easily.
- Pour all incredients and juices let in bottom of tray into a food processor or blender. Pulse until nicely blended.
- Pour into a soup pot and turn on medium heat. Add vegetable stock, chopped basil, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- Simmer for a five minutes and then serve. Top with a spoonful of organic goat yogurt. Season with fresh ground pepper to taste.
Makes 3-4 servings
Tomatoes cleanse your liver and purify your blood. By relieving heat and stagnation in the liver, tomatoes help to reduce symptoms such as high blood pressure, red eyes, and headaches. Even though an acidic fruit, after digestion the tomato alkalizes the blood and so is useful in reducing rheumatism and gout.
Garlic is one of the best detox foods on the planet. Garlic activates liver enzymes to filter out junk of all kinds such as heavy metals and even parasites. Garlic is also known for clearing arteries, lowering cholesterol and preventing cancer.
Basil is a powerful detoxifier. It has strong antioxidant powers that can prevent premature aging & even cancer. The flavnoids in basil protect cell structures from radiation & oxygen-based damage.