Hearty Black Bean Soup
Aromatic, delicious, high in protein and very satisfying!
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups black beans (2 @ 15 oz cans rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chile sauce (to taste)
- 1/3 tsp Himalayan salt
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado to taste
- dap of yogurt or sour cream
Over medium heat in a medium size stockpot add olive oil and gently saute onion, celerty, carrots and garlic for one to two minutes until slightly softened. Add black beans and stir for another minute. Add chili powder, thyme, cumin, coriander, bay leaf and stir. Cook for another minute. Add the vegetable stock and chile sauce to taste. Turn the heat up until boiling then immediately reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Just before serving add salt, pepper, lemon juice and more chile sauce depending on taste and heat preference. Remove bay leaf.
Ladle into blender and process until pureed. Pour the mixture through a metal mesh strainer to remove bean pulp. Return to low heat. Adjust seasoning if required. Add more stock depending on thickness you desire. A delicious way to garnish this soup is with a dab of organic yogurt, cilantro leaf and sliced avocado.