Apple & Butternut Squash Soup
Enjoy this recipe as it is or combine it with cooked greens or whole grains for a hearty meal. You can also experiment with different spices by replacing the cinnamon sticks with a spice blend. Curry and adding a bit of coconut milk is my favorite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 apples
- 5-8 cinnamon sticks ( great for digestion)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water (filtered)
- Chop onions.
- Peel squash, remove seeds and cube.
- Core and cube apples (leave the peel on).
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add squash and sauté a bit more.
- Add apple, cinnamon sticks and pepper. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and blend soup in blender, food processor or use emersion blender.
High in vitamins and antioxidants, this delicious, mildly sweet soup will also help stave off cravings for sweets. Eating sweet vegetables regularly will satisfy your underlying desire for sweets and make it easier for you to stay on a healthy diet plan.